Paediatric surgery is a medical subspecialty of surgery involving the surgery of fetuses, infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
Various children's health issues and diseases that call for surgical intervention can be managed and treated with the help of paediatric surgery.
Paediatric surgery involves abdominal, trauma or transplantation surgery, as well as specialist procedures such as neonatal surgery, often for congenital abnormalities.
Paediatric surgeons also perform complex surgery on children with disabilities to improve their quality of life.
Some of the most common procedures are:
- Herniotomy for congenital inguinal (groin area) hernia and hydrocoele (collection of fluid around the testes)
- Correction of undescended testis
- Repair of umbilical (belly-button) hernia
- Appendix removal
- Correction of torsion of the testis
- Pyloromyotomy for pyloric stenosis (correcting the narrowing of the opening between stomach and intestine)