Here is a checklist that can help you prepare before your appointment with your doctor
- Compile all your documents to bring to your doctor’s visit:
- Copies of any tests, x-rays, or medical histories relating to your medical problem.
- Completed medical history questionnaire.
- A list of all current medications taken on a regular basis, including over-the-counter and herbal medications.
- Review any special directions from your doctor about diet or medication restrictions prior to your appointment.
- Get a friend or relative to accompany you if you wish. Depending on the type of appointment you have, you may need someone to take you home.
To make the most of your appointment, prepare a list of questions and remember to express your concerns to your doctor.
Here are some examples of questions to ask your doctor
About Your Symptoms or Diagnosis
What is the disease or condition?
How serious is my disease or condition and how will it affect my home and work life?
What is the short-term and long-term prognosis for my disease or condition?
What caused the disease or condition?
About Your Treatment
What are my treatment options?
How long will the treatment take?
What is the cost of the treatment?
Which treatment is most common for my disease or condition?
What side effects can I expect?
If You Need Surgery
Why do I need surgery?
What surgical procedure are you recommending?
Is there more than one way of performing this surgery?
Are there alternatives to surgery?
How much will surgery cost?
*Sources: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: healthgrades.com
If you need to see another doctor, we will ensure that we will make every effort to schedule additional tests and consultations at the earliest available time.
If you need to be hospitalised, we will organise your admitting arrangements and provide the hospital with information before your arrival.